Tuesday, April 17, 2007

4/17/07 Top Seven (?) Performance Show

Haven't started watching yet. Hockey. It's 9:15. Usually by now I'm getting antsy. Wanting to watch the contestants do their thing. It's country week and I am just sitting here knowing that I'm going to be totally underwhelmed.

I just got back from the store. I met my sister at Target and we each bought a copy of Bucky's CD. I would have bought her a copy too if she asked me to burn it. Need to get those sales up. I was happy she said she wanted to buy it. yay. There are no Buckys this season. And there certainly aren't any Chrisses ~how the heck do you spell plural Chris?~ or Carries or Bos (who are all, admittedly, probably better than my sweet Buckylove). Love the CD though. Good stuff.

Penguins are losing, btw. It's two to one in a MUST WIN game. Four minuts left to go. Can I just say that I love Sidney Crosby? I'm not really into hockey like I was way back when. (When? The late 80s and early 90s, I guess.) This kid is amazing. On the ice and off the ice. Amazing.

Martina McBride. Mmmmm. “Have to believe what you’re singing.” Preach it, Martina. Absolutely.

Phil “Where The Blacktop Ends” - I thought this was really good. Great song choice. Looks good in the all black too. I’m already thinking I underestimated them tonight. I can’t imagine anybody being better than that (for me). It should definitely save him. *rolls eyes at Simon*
Jordin “Broken Wing” - She looks gorgeous. That was great. Great. I’ve been hoping she could do something like this and earn the praise she gets. I’m still not a fan. She loses something with me. I don’t know where or what it is but it’s something important that I don‘t get.
Sanjaya “Something To Talk About” - oh the hair. Oh honey. *sigh* He’d have Simon sing “Shiny Happy People” to show his true personality. Heh. I like him. Say what you will. I don’t think this was the perfect song choice for him but I do get why he picked it.
Simon was too harsh. It was in no way as bad as “anything we see at the beginning” during the auditions. The kid CAN sing.
Lakisha “Jesus Take The Wheel” - Does she have a lisp? Gold boots? Carrie Underwood? Yeah. I’m not loving it. She should be singing this like Lakisha instead of trying to sing it straight out. She definitely has a voice though. Just not for anything I’d listen to. Yep. I agree with Randy too. Judges were right on with this one.
Chris “Mayberry” - the dude playing the violin isn’t real good, is he? Sounds like somebody sat on a cat. Okay. That? Was karaoke. Still liked it. Didn’t love it. But the musicians and the background singers are not doing him any favors. He didn’t connect. I agree with that. He’s likable though. Ew. Simon rolled his eyes when he gave the shout-out to VA Tech. Dude is from Virginia. Of course he’s going to have emotion there.
Melinda “Trouble Is A Woman” - I’m impressed. Yes, I already knew she could sing. But there were like a lot of words to remember in that song. Personality all over the place. Nice. Real nice. LOVE that Simon asked her to lose the surprise when he complimented her. Mmhmm. Yep. I’ll be the first to eat my words if she does win. I won’t vote for her and I won’t buy anything she sells, but… yep.
Blake “When The Stars Go Blue” - Tim MmmmcGraw. Hmmm. I’m not really loving this. There were a couple really wow good notes but they didn’t help his total disconnect from the song. Dead eyes tonight. “Right song”? huh? No. No, it wasn’t.

“Have to believe what you’re singing.” I wish these people would have listened to her.
I love that nobody wore cowboy hats or chaps.
If I were voting tonight, I’d vote for Phil.

Rankings:

Melinda
Phil (I’d buy a Phil does country album. Yes, I would. If he does go that route, he might just be the only one I‘ll support post-Idol.)
Jordin (if we were doing voice alone, I’d put her up top)
Chris
Blake
Lakisha
Sanjaya

3 comments:

Velva said...

OK Glowie... I just finished watching, and I'm having strong opinions tonight

My personal ranking as a country music fan:
Melinda
Phil
Jordin
Lakisha
Chris
Blake/Sanjaya

Melinda absolutely killed her song and made me believe that she had fun doing it. That's enough for me on country night.

Holy crap! Phil finally connected with a song and made me like it! He's always such a workmanlike singer... it was nice to see him just sing.

Jordin was awesome. This is a child who has an astounding amount of potential. A huge natural voice and the ability to sing in numerous styles. Plus... she's seventeen. A woman's voice doesn't reach it's full potential until she's in her early to mid thirties usually. What's she gonna sound like in ten years?

LaKisha... this is the first time in weeks that I've liked her. She toned it down and just sang the damn song. Sometimes that's all you have to do. Too bad the judges hated that approach. Grrr

Chris singing Rascal Flatts. Sigh. Too bad about the huge-ass backing orchestra. They overpowered both the song and poor Chris. I thought he sang it well, all things considered.

Blake... was channeling Paul Heaton (from the Housemartins and The Beautiful South). That's not a good thing.

Sanjaya. The poor child blew it this week. How are you supposed to relate to a song when you have no clue what you're singing about? He got the notes right, but he's just too young for that song. Jordin got it right by choosing a song where she told someone else's story.

Jen said...

Country night. Ew. It was actually hard for me to judge these performances because I just plain don't like country music, so nothing really sounded good to me, except maybe Melinda. The only song I knew was "Something to talk about."

I pretty much agree with your rankings. Mine would be:
Melinda
Jordin
Phil (grr! I wanted him to go home. Damn him for not sucking!)
Chris/Blake (both eh, but I love them)
LaKisha
Sanjaya

Glowie said...

wow! I'm really glad to see the Simon rolling his eyes at Chris thing being such a hot topic today!

Thank you, Jen, for saying just about everything I would have said if I read the comments on the boards between then and now.