Thursday, April 12, 2007

I remember watching the first episode of Friday Night Lights with a little bit of doubt that I would continue watching the show. My husband liked it. I appreciated the acting (and Tim Riggins) but I just couldn’t see where they could possibly go with it. I guess I have my husband to thank for my total appreciation of the brilliance I watched unfold for seven months. It’s so funny to be a part of this “cult” following that developed throughout the season. Not funny ha ha but funny hmmm. I feel privileged. Like I got to be a part of something that not many people were involved in. But that’s the sorrow of it too. That a show this good doesn’t have the ratings it would need to have a without-a-doubt second season. NBC has ordered six new episodes. That is wonderful. That is fantastic. But what happens if nobody watches those six episodes either? It’s strange to sit here and try to tell people that they could learn something about life from a television show. That is what I’m telling you though. Just watching the characters develop was fascinating. Every scene from every episode was gorgeous to watch. There were laughs and there were tears. Lots and lots of tears. Sometimes the tears would come from the total amazement and awe of the beautiful delivery of a line or the beautiful camera work. When the Panthers played a game, I sat on the edge of my seat like the Steelers were playing. I feel so invested in these characters. I want to know what happens with Coach Taylor and his family. I want to know what happens with Timmy and Bo. I want to know what happens with Julie and Matt. And Smash and Waverly. And Lyla.

(I’ll edit more in later. I have to do some work.)



Fun Fact: “Devil Town” was written by a guy named Daniel Johnston (Bright Eyes did a brilliant cover. We heard the Bright Eyes version in “State”) a singer/songwriter who has a cult-like following in Austin, TX. There’s a documentary called “The Devil and Daniel Johnston”. He was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and believed the devil was out to get him.

I was living in a devil town
Didn't know it was a devil town
Oh Lord, it really brings me down
About the devil town
And all my friends were vampires
Didn't know they were vampires
Turns out I was a vampire myself
In the devil town
I was living in a devil town
Didn't know it was a devil town
Oh Lord, it really brings me down
About the devil town

2 comments:

Velva said...

My husband has no interest in this show because "it's about football." Finally hes was all, "OK sweetie, tell me what you like about this show because I know you have no interest in football."

So I explained to him that it's not about football, it's just set in a town where football is huge. And then I explained about the relationships and the acting and that believable things happen, and then I made a caveat for Jason Street and his accident in the first episode. Then Dave was intrigued and said "no... that's actually a pretty believable thing to have happen too." And he wanted to know how they handled that character.

Finally he said "so what's the target demographic of the show?" Well, that would be... me. And every other woman in the country who would far rather be Tami Taylor than a Desperate Housewife.

Glowie said...

I read or heard somewhere this quote that I adore: "There are two kinds of television viewers. Those who love Friday Night Lights and those who have never watched Friday Night Lights."

I am so buying this when it comes out on DVD. I cannot wait.

No, it's not about football. It's about the people who live in a football town.

I LOVE that you tuned into this show.